Tuesday, February 15, 2011

part 1

MBS has hit and I have been building ever since the full set was released. So many cards that have to possibility to warp standard right now and I am pretty excited about it. I can already see it taking effect in the meta at my store and as much as I hate to see the decks that most people are playing, its only going to drive to me make a better deck. And that better deck is BlackBoarder.com's Martin Juza's Kuldotha Forgemaster deck that he ran in Paris this weekend.
This deck is probably the deck I have been most excited to play in a long time because not only did it do really really well(5-0) but I have the fucking deck 95 percent complete. The only problem...fucking jace but! I think have the replacement for him and it should do fine. Right now I just have sea gate oracles as a replacement but I think that just going with baby jace is the right idea. One of my friends is actually playing with an interesting piece of tech and that is to run the 3 spine of ish sha and because you mana accelerate so fast and so high, you have no problem ramping into them. One ramped in to them, you sacrifice them to the forgemaster instead of your signets so that you recast them from your hand and the Spines return from the grave to your hand. The cycle seems vicious but its so mana intensive I can defiantly see it not working. On the other hand, getting this to work might actually be really beneficial as vindicates are pretty good last I checked.
There is one thing that didn’t like about juzas deck and that is that it doesn’t play counters in the main....none. No spell pierce, no mana leak nothing, no fuel for the cause, nothing. I don’t really see how your suppose to protect yourself from a Green artifact wrath or other counters to stop you from comboing off. the current build I have now has spell pierce in the main and I feel that it is right to have that in the deck. Its a UB build, how could you not have counters.
There is one care that is really catching my eye right now and that is Decimator Web...not quite sure why it is, but I feel like the 4 mana you invest to activate it, you get so much value out of it. The best part I feel is either the poison counter that is added or the top 6 that is milled from the top. The milling effect ruins any kind of strategy applied by jace's brainstorm ability and also removes threats from their library..durr. Although many people will turn their heads away from this card mostly because it is a mill card, the fact that it only costs 4 and its ability also costs 4 seems to be worth the cost from mid game to late game. Also, with a deck like juza's you have plenty of mana early in the game so that this cost is almost nothing.
The other deck that I have been heavily fiddling around with is MBC. I let my friend play it against me with my UW control deck at the time and he got me a few times. It defiantly can survive when the going gets tough. And phyrexian rager is definitely a card people are overlooking and I think it has so much potential. The scary part of the testing was when he got a massacre wurm In the fucking mimic vat... the deck is still on the table and I am still putting a lot of thought and multiple builds together.

My problem lately is that I keep trying to ruin the two decks that I actually have put together, Juzas Tezz deck and CawGo. Take look

2 elspeth
3 Baby Jace
4 Tezz

4 chalice
3 suns sphere
2 BSZ
2 DoJ
2 WSZ

1 mindslaver
2 phyrexian Revoker
3 kuldotha forgemaster
1 blightsteel colossus
1 Battlesphere Myr
2 stoneforge mystic
1 sword of body and mind
1 bonehoard
1 sword of vengeance

for some reason I just really wanna fit in white,but I know that it wont work. Black Sun is just way better in DoJ so you could just run the set instead of a split between the two. Also you don’t kill your artifacts that are now 5/5's thanks to tezzeret. It real reason that I want to fit in white is not just for the Mystic and Elspeth, but because the sideboard has so much artifact removal and that sun titan brings back so much when you sacrifice for the forgemaster. You actually get Exile target artifact from white so you don’t have to worry about indestructible creatures.
I dont really know why I keep going back to esper, but I do. I guess I just like the color combination and what it has to offer. It plays the cards that I like to play. Although my friend has heard there is an Esper control deck that is being tested and played, so I have been on the look out for that.

Hmmm I think I will do two parts of this. The second one will come out when the Eh Team podcast is up, number 25 :D there are some things I want to say about it, so I will wait to write that one after I hear it


No comments:

Post a Comment