Monday, January 3, 2011

my late and half done ptq thoughts

so basically i am getting around to putting this up and its really not releveant anymore but its got this awesome story of how i rolled this guy and how i prepped for the event. like i said its half done and its not much but i am sure you all will enjoy it :]

So at the beginning of the month I played in a PTQ for Paris and I think I did fairly well, getting 15th and going 5-2. my first loss was in round 3 to a deck that was similar to mine, but with better bombs Ala wurmcoil engine and carnifax demon. And what can I say nothing beats rock, good ol rock. And from that loss I went on a tear. I won the next 3 in a row and went to top 8 if it weren’t for luck and broken bombs from the nub in round 7. this guys was truly swimming in a deck of luck with double griffins and precursor gollies and drew the 3 cards in all 3 games.i may not have finished first nor am I going to pairs and I barely missed top 8 but I feel like I learned so much from this experience that will help me become a better player than I know I already am.

First I want to start by saying practice the format your playing in. practice practice practice and when you have got it practice again for good measure.now I understand that I was participating in a sealed event and that A) there aren’t a lot of sealed events in the area and B) sealed events on MTGO can be pricey and kinda hard to find. So to practice for this event I just drafted a ton on MTGO...a fuckin ton. And not only did that work out so much better than I had hoped, it would prepare me for the Draft portion of the top 8 if I made it.(and while drafting SoM I was confident I was going to get to top 8)
you realize your getting the hang out the format when your start drafting for free. So for me it took me about 3 days and I was just grinding drafts left and right until I felt comfortable with the format. Thats how I knew I was ready to get it done.i kept drafting until a week of the event and just took a rest period and just kinda hung out and just read what I could about drafting and sealed events. I took that week break because I didn’t want to burn out on Mtg. I have burned out before and I really really didn’t want to play magic after that event for a few days. Anyways I feel the need to reiterate the need to practice the format no matter how good you think you are you can always use practice.

I really want to share a quick story about my round 4 opponent. There are some players out there that are beaming with confidence and they feel like they are going to win and feel the need to share it with you...this was my round 4 opponent. He was oh so confident about going to Paris despite just losing his 3rd round.i had just set up my little area of play mat, dice and had begun shuffling when he decided to start talking. He had begun to tell me about him going to Paris and how he was going to win this event and how I was standing in his way. Normally I would have gone off on him but I found it rather funny and just continued to shuffle my deck. He then mentioned that he had gotten his time off for that week and the place to stay and I am just sitting there smiling... listening to this diarrhea spewing from his mouth. I had finally stopped shuffling and finally retorted with “ lets play some magical cards” and we had begun deck is pretty insane it went turn 2 plague stinger swinging for infect while he is trying to stabilize with little artifacts and dealing damage. I turn four drop Tel-Jilad Fallen shutting down his mini attacks. And 2 turns later, i draw and play grafted exoskeleton because of myr on board. He has tapped out and is desperate so he plays more artifacts, I exoskeleton attach to the stinger and swing for 6 poison for the win. “sorry” I said to him and I smiled on to game 2.
Game 2 was even better as I kept a 1 land hand with a leaden myr and horizon spell bomb, I drew that hand all day and I would always top a land. He mulls to 6 keeps and terrible hand and that’s his end. Turn 3 into skinrender on his mana myr which takes him out of the game. Turn 4 is swing with render, drop precursor golem pass. Turn 5 is swing, drop Slagwurm scoooop. This kid is almost in tears as I say “sorry about Paris man” I pack up and leave. His shit is still on the table and he is just sitting and what sucks is that we were one of the first ones done with about 40 mins left on the clock. It was great
the point of this story is don’t be an idiot and tell your opponent that your going to beat him and win the whole thing and go to Paris huuurb durrp cuz then a bad ass player such as myself shows up, rolls you and now your sitting there whiny and full of tears. Just play the game people. Play it and have fun but also play to win. And if you play me and your talking shit and I am not saying anything to you, you better bring your A game cuz I am gonna rock you.

No comments:

Post a Comment